I can’t believe we are approaching the end of January! I set so many personal and business goals for 2008 and am having a hard time keeping up with all my New Year’s resolutions. One of the business goals I set for my company was to update my website.
I thought it would be a good idea to include some new customer testimonials on my website because I think potential customers want to know what I have done for others and what I can do for them. I thought it would be helpful if I share with you why I think testimonials are a great asset to any company’s website and provide some helpful hints:
- More and more consumers use the internet to get information about products and services so it makes good business sense to include testimonials from other satisfied customers on your website. People like doing business with people they know and trust, so make your site informative and educational and you maybe surprised at the results.
- Always use actual testimonials from your customers. According to author Robert W. Bly, “Even the most skilled copywriter can rarely make up a testimonial that can match the sincerity and credibility of genuine words of praise from a real customer or client.” Notate your source with name, company and city but don’t list confidential or specific contact information.
- Always ask your client’s permission to use their testimonial and try to get written approval. Keep it simple, a quick email will suffice.
- Thank your customer for their help and let them know how much their testimonial will help your business.
- Use full quotes about specific services, solutions or products your company provides.
- You may want to start a testimonial database so that your comments are close at hand, especially if some of your clients have agreed to act as references. This can be a simple excel file which can allow you to track testimonials by business sector you have helped or by specific services you provide.
I hope this information has been helpful and has motivated you to update your website. Now, stop surfing the net and start calling your clients for some testimonials!